Sunday, March 13, 2011

Get-away from it all...and ride your bike.


Went away to delightful Hermann, Mo this weekend, where we celebrated our 1-year wedding anniversary. Yep, we have thrived for 1 full year...whew! How time flies my friends!... 

An hour west of St. Louis, Hermann provided me the perfect dose of small-town needed to slow down and make me appreciate life.

We woke up early, soaked in a hot-tub overlooking the river, did wine tastings, and rode bikes...

...around the town....in the middle of the street...on the sidewalk, where-ever we could, like we were in 6th grade. People stared a little.

Here is a picture of Red riding in front of a super cool, crazy-colored, Victorian house:



While out riding, we stopped at a few shops that had a lot to offer, here are some that I think will pique your interest...



All Things Lettered: A wonderful shop with plenty to sort through. Vintage posters, advertisements, and signs abound. 


 I particularly loved the handmade vintage-y cards made by local artist: Susan Brockman


Who wouldn't love to get a wedding card with their great-great grandparents staring back at them?

This store comes together in a witty way, and if you don't find anything to buy, you'll definitely leave with something to think about.

PS. Kathy is a doll and is great with answering any questions you may have!

Contact Information:
Tom and Kathy Durham
209 Schiller St.
Hermann, Mo 65041
573-486-1519


The Gold Rhino: Come here and, seriously, get your funk on. This place is stinkin' cool. Walk in, look around, do a little shimmy, kind-of-cool.

This is the gold Rhino
Obvious lovers of all things retro, and vintage, the owners do an excellent job of hunting down the cool stuff for you. They have already staked out the estate sales, dug through that pile, and scavenged the internet. Here, you get the good stuff.

Here are a few shots of things I found:

Cool suitcases anyone?



Stephanie, one of the owners, was extra cool and openly gave tips on places to eat around town. Having recently moved from our area, she was an awesome help in figuring out some estate sale hotspots in St. Louis. I'm especially stoked about that.

Contact Information:
Stephanie Weaver
211 East First Street
Hermann, MO 65041
573-486-2400
thegoldrhino@rocketmail.com


Red Barn Crafts & Antiques: This place will blow your mind. There is so much stuff! And by so much, I literally mean piles of things...with basically everything priced. The people at the welcome center said that we had to come here just to experience it. And, I agree. Check this out...


Mr. Wilding, the owner, moved this barn from outside of town with his Dad, and re-built it here for the store. It is filled to the brim!


This beautiful stain glass door made my heart jump in a fabulous way...just imagine the possibilities!


And, well, this little guy actually did make me jump. I think it is a coconut monkey? Creepy little fellow.

And this picture is just for the experience of how much stuff there was to look through. Please don't be overwhelmed. Be elated. This is for real.

You could find a deal here you didn't know you needed. They have a lot of everything you might want to consider, one day, collecting.

Contact Information:
John and Mae Wilding
523 West 9th
Hermann, MO 65041
573-486-5544
redbarn@mchsi.com

Now, I know you are having a hard time paying attention because you are way too busy day-dreaming about riding a bike. It's ok. 

I completely understand and fully support your decision to get lost in the perfection of riding a bike on a sunny day.

How about you do it, instead of just dream it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lola. Your word world really rocks. I like the way you fit on words. Have you started writing a novel yet?
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim! I appreciate that---and I would love to write a novel...but I'm not so sure I could organize my words that well. We will just see what happens!

    ReplyDelete