Friday, March 11, 2011

Soupity Soup Soup Soup

This is my Grannie.


And, this is her bowl.


Now. This isn't just any bowl, but this is her childhood soup bowl. Isn't that incredible? My Grannie is 93 years old, and still has her childhood soup bowl! ( I don't think I'll have anything like that when I'm 93!) 

We had just finished up a great lunch that ended with the most INCREDIBLE strawberries and pound cake dessert, when she said to me that she wanted me to have something to remember her by. (Only Grannie is so comfortable with matter-of-factly addressing her life and its end).

She slowly stood up and made her way to her den and started pointing to things on the shelves while telling the stories behind them. "That was my mother's.", "That was my husband when he was young, isn't he handsome?"

The words just came tumbling out. Then she came to the bowl. She pointed and asked me to get it off the shelf and said: " This was my soup bowl when I was a tiny girl. I want you to have it."

Now, I understand that this is just a soup bowl. What is the big deal? You see, Grannie and I aren't really related. My parents (long before I was born) lived with her while building a home and she was grafted into the family (P.S everyone needs an adopted Grannie). So this bowl means so much MORE simply because she doesn't have to give me anything.

This lovely bowl is siting on my bedside table, and though Grannie is still around, she is far away in small town Mississippi. As I wake up each morning, I turn and see this bowl and am reminded of her.

Grannie represents so much strength, wisdom, and joy in my life. I wonder, who represents these things to you?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete