Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From Bollywood with Love...

I was on the phone with my friend Sudha yesterday, and our conversation reminded me of this lovely memory.

A couple of years ago I needed to come up with a creative idea for Red's birthday and I didn't have much money. Sooo, I took him to India... In my apartment. Is your imagination rolling?

Get ready for a wild time my friends. No, it's ok. You can definitely keep reading.

Sudha, my dear friend from India, was not only my inspiration, but also my secret weapon. She lent me an incredible sari a lot like this one:



AND, most importantly, taught me how to wrap it. (It could have been very dangerous if I didn't learn how to wrap that thing correctly. It's an art people.)

I worked all afternoon fixing a traditional Indian recipe that Sudha provided me. It's aromatics filled the air. If you walked past my apartment, you would have felt like you were in New Delhi. I promise.

Red came over that evening and I was there to greet him, posted up in my bright red sari; a scarf covering the chandelier (to lend to the Indian feel...until I took it down because I was afraid it was going to catch on fire, and then where would our night in India go?); and a Bollywood film playing in the background. The music is so moving and unique. Here is an example:



To say the least, Red was extremely surprised by his birthday celebration. I figured I didn't have much to offer, but why not take him to another country for the evening. (Who could argue with that?)

Besides, it gave me an awesome excuse to cook delicious Indian food and wear a sari. It had been a secret desire of mine for a long time to wear a sari...and now that I've done it, its no longer a secret...and wait, now that I've written it on here, it's definitely not a secret...

All of this to say, Indian culture is rich and well worth exploring. I am lucky to have a friend that can teach me so much and expose me to so much outside of my world. How sweet!

In case you have a desire to wear a sari  for a birthday, wedding, or just because; or you'd like to create a craft from a sari, here are some resources for you:

2 comments:

  1. India rocks also when you go there for two weeks. Thank you, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the story Laura. I am so happy to be a part of your blog. We should seriously think about the trip to India. Love you. You Rock!!!

    ReplyDelete