Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet Solitude

Sometimes there is nothing sweeter, more refreshing, or more needed then a moment alone.

Or perhaps a few hours alone, as in my case.

Today is a glorious day. The sky fills each picture your eyes take in, and the sun is radiating in every place...if not warming everything it touches.

It's one of those days that looks the perfect 75 degrees but is actually closer to 60.

It's one of those days that needs to be enjoyed...

...by having a personal picnic.

I'm a firm believer in picnics. I feel like I'm always more grounded (no pun intended) after taking the time to prepare and enjoy this delight.

Here are a few of my fondest picnic memories:

1. The English Garden in Munich with my friend Allison. (Sometimes it's worth missing a train, when you get to loll about in a mystical place with a delicious German smorgasborg of expensive groceries that you bought because you couldn't find a more reasonable option....and you get to play with dandelions...and do interpretive movement...)                        hey. don't judge.

We joked that after you blew the dandelion,
whatever was left was how many children you would have.
Wow.

That's overwhelming.
2. Under the Eiffel Tower with Allie in 11th grade, when we were so grandly approached by a midget and his two brothers and told we could be jewelry models..haha...The pizza (Speedy Rabbit) and the ice-cream (Haa-gan Daaz) was awesome. The friendship...and story...is even better.

This is not under the Eiffel Tower.
But it is taken by Allie
And it is at the Trocadero in Paris across from the Eiffel Tower.

Oh to be 17. In Paris.
3. The September 11th memorial in Hattiesburg with Red when we were dating...playing tag and taking some ridiculously cool "action" shots.

Don't even think about asking for a close-up.
3. At my first real concert with Chrissy and her Mom...The Temptations at Wolftrap...where I discovered my love for guacamole.

4. The Blueberry Festival with Rose...where we each bought sun-dried tomato pesto and bread...and couldn't make it home before we had to eat it...so we sat down in the dirt...and got ant bites...but it was worth it because that pesto was out of this world.

5. Every pretty day that I worked in Laurel...I would go to the park and read and eat for my lunch hour...a way to rejuvenate and be energized the rest of the day...

6. And now, today... alone by the Missouri River. Just me, my books, my food, my blanket...

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment