Thursday, May 5, 2011

Admiration for a Stranger

A day with an easy cadence...nothing extraordinary.

But regular and nice.

I have been passing these past few days daydreaming about a latte I had on monday with my friend Taylor at Picasso's in Downtown Saint Charles...

And so, on this ordinary day, I decided to return. I desperately wanted Red to experience the texture of their froth.

(Not only do you get froth art at this place, but you get an incredible drink with an insane texture that draws you back like a bug to a light)

We chose a table outside, sat and relaxed, debated about taking Spanish classes this summer, and planned our weekend...

As we sat there, a gal came up and asked to sit with us.
(Unusual? Yes. Uninvited? Yes. Appreciated? Yes.)

Lucia is her name.

She asked if she could join us, and surprised, we said yes, of course.

She sat down, started digging around in her bag, already talking up a storm, and pulled out some beads to start working with...

We jumped around talking about her getting her Masters in English, future job opportunities, raising kids in different cultures, and moving out of the country.

A picture of a person so very different from me. And yet, so refreshing and alive. Bright and comfortable.

We three sat there talking as if we knew each other much longer than 5 minutes...

I post this with the intention of saying these things:

  1. Walking up to strangers and joining them in conversation is cool.

  2. I recognize that this isn't for everyone, but, for me, it leaves a lasting (positive) impression.

  3. Random connection with strangers is enriching.

What are your thoughts of connection with random strangers? Yay or nay?

Do you think you could be on of those people who approaches random others?

I'm not sure if I would. I think I'm capable...but too hesitant.

Maybe I'll try it this week...

2 comments: