Monday, May 16, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

I just returned from an epic trip to Memphis, TN...and will be sharing with you bits and pieces through out the week.

As you may know, I'm really enjoying having a pet bird who lives outside my window, named Aida.

(This relates, I promise)


Understandably, because of this new-founded relationship with Aida, I am a bit more sensitive to the going-ons of birds in general.

So I hit the road to Memphis around lunch on Friday and enjoyed a nice calm trip for a few hours...a couple hundred miles, and all was good.

As I got closer to Arkansas, I began to notice a black sky ahead of me (interestingly, it seemed to appear out of no-where)..

I figured, eh, it's a storm--I'll press through.

The next thing I know, it's hailing, the wind is going crazy, water is rushing over the roads (ie. the sandbags are not protecting me at this point) and I'm going 25 mph in a 70 mph zone.

People are pulling over, driving with their caution lights, stopping under bridges---but me, I decide to go forward with the trucks...I want to make good time, right?

The storm gets worse...and I begin to wonder if maybe I should pull over too...I decide, naah, and speed up a little.

Just as I step on the pedal, there is a huge crack, and a bolt of lightening hits the ground behind my car. I see the lightening hit the ground through my rearview mirror. It is mind-blowing.

Mind-blowing to the point that it brings tears to my eyes because I am so shocked (not physically, praise the Lord.)

As I work through my survival status, I continue to drive and reach the edge of the storm...

It begins to clear up and become less chaotic...I begin to relax.

I notice little birds gliding over the highway--peacefully...

Then, out of nowhere, a bird nearly runs into my driver's side window...I duck (no pun intended.)

It is so close...I can see the individual colors of the feathers on it's chest.

This is scarring when you have a pet bird named Aida, living outside your window. What if that had been her?

The trip to Memphis was insane.

I am happy to say that no animals or people were hurt during this trip---and that I not only survived, but thrived upon arrival...

BBQ fest was rejuvenating... and the bachelorette party invigorating.. More to come on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment