Tuesday, May 22, 2012

To Russia with Love

I have a special place in my heart for Russia.

Due mostly to the fact that the people are kind and warm and generous and all things gingerbread.

Yes, gingerbread.

Doesn't she remind you of gingerbread? What a darling Babushka.

But also because I have been there twice and my family's church has such a sweet love for a church there.

Russia has been on my mind lately. I took my friend Tricia to the airport yesterday (she was headed to the republic of Georgia...where they speak Russian); and my dad was talking about our Russian friends coming to visit this summer; and then today I walked up the street to my local tailor and it turns out she is originally from Baku (also a Russian speaking area).

We chatted warmly as she fitted my dress and I even slipped a spaceba (thank-you) and a dasvadana (good bye) into our conversation.

It was a warming reminder of Russia and all my fond memories there.

I long to take Red there. I think he would adore experiencing the skeleton of communism left behind, the dramatic architecture, the ballet, the opera, and again, the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment