Friday, September 9, 2011

Ode to Americana

For some reason, around this time each year, something sparks my inner adoration for all things Americana.

I think it must be related to the oncoming Fall season that is associated with my memories of amazing childhood programs centered on the Pilgrims and the Indians...

...I distinctly remember wearing a big piece of butcher paper at the collar of a sunday dress, meant to mimic those huge white Pilgrim collars...I also had a killer bonnet that we borrowed from a family friend who had several American Girl wardrobe choices... (Needless to say that I borrowed the full Kirsten get-up for thanksgiving one year---)

Something about that early settlement time period on into the Colonial days just makes my heart happy. And then, there is the outward expansion to the West... Oh how I love it all.

Just thinking about those times makes me want to move to a rural area so I can make my own butter, grow crops, work the land, go to bed when the sun does, be hugely satisfied with a little sugar water, and hole up in my log home when the the weather is ravaging the outside world.

I think you and I both realize that this beautiful dream is not happening. We do not live in the days of old--and in fact we can do several of that wish list here in the city if we so choose (urban farming is growing...haha no pun intended...)

So in place of actually moving to rural America and living off the land, I have elected to re-read the beloved Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.


I plan to turn the air down, bury myself under blankets on the couch, tuck away any semblance of modern day life--and disappear into a covered wagon.

What does the on-coming Fall season do for your soul?

3 comments:

  1. You are cinnamon sprinkled apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how romantic you are...makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know how the rest of the Laura Ingles series is. I've only read Little House in the Big Woods...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete