Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nom Nom Thursday: Thai Food. Slurp.

Thai food warms my heart.

Ok, and it warms everything because it is so deliciously and complicatedly spicy. But that is the beauty of it. It isn't a spicy that hits you right away. No. It is a spicy that slowly builds so you can still taste all of the other flavors in your dish as you start to glisten--hmm...sweat a little..

I introduced Red to Thai food way back in our college years---down in Hattiesburg, MS at Jutamas... a little Thai place surrounded by car dealerships and across the street from a shut-down club. Jutamas managed to be completely different from its neighbors with its calming music, fragrant spices, and delicious meals....you totally forgot what was outside.

This place quickly became one of our go to spots for healthy flavorful meals. It was consistent, reasonably priced, Red could get full with one plate, and we loved it.

When we moved to St. Louis, we made it our mission to try as many Thai restaurants as possible with the goal of meeting or surpassing Jutamas high standards... We've been to: Thai Sawadee (Chesterfield), Addie's Thai House (Chesterfield, Thai Kitchen (St. Peters), Blue Elephant (Clayton), and Land of Smile (Olivette)... no doubt there are probably more...

But--we still haven't come to a concrete decision on which is our favorite. Red claims the Blue Elephant--but I have my reservations...I'm not sure my favorite...but I am sure of my new most favoritest dish:

Kao Sol. Described on the menu as: Chicken, Rice noodles, with a special curry sauce topped with crispy onions. What they neglect to tell you is that it also has bean sprouts, cilantro, red onions, and other veggies chopped up and soaked in that crazy curry sauce.

Here is a picture of my bowl half-way through---it was beautiful upon arrival I promise:



Red and I had decided to try new things this visit--we both typically get the same dishes every time. Red loves Pad See Yu ( Flat noodles, egg, broccoli, and carrots, in dark soy sauce)...and I usually get Pad Gra Prik (sauteed meet with basil, peppers, and onions with this spicy sweet sauce). Red's dish is especially good for those new to Thai food.

A special treat that accompanied our adventurous spirits at Thai Kitchen, was the gift of dessert:


Ok--what do you think it is?

It's interesting. That's what it is.

It is called something along the lines of: Split Bean Pudding.

First of all, I expected it to be cold. It's warm. And, the flavors were the strangest party in my mouth: popcorn meets cornbread meets sweet meets nuttiness....and the white stuff was kind of like sour cream but not...

Needless to say, it was a departure from my idea of dessert. But I'm glad I tried it--because now I know what popcorn, cornbread, nut, sweet, sour cream, alllll mixed together in a warm jelly form, tastes like.

On that note, I hope you are inspired to try Thai Food. It is a sweet way to satiate your craving for Asian food in a healthier fashion---who needs fried General Tso's chicken? (me, but only every once in a while...)

Go eat Thai food and be Happy.

3899-B Veterans Memorial Pkwy
St. Peters, MO 63376
636.447.1883
(This restaurant is listed simply because it's dish is the one that changed my life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment