Thursday, June 23, 2011

Measuring Time

As I was listening to NPR today---running around to Costco and the like--- there was an interesting discussion being held about time.

The question asked was, "What is your significant measure of time?"

The Passage of Time
Picture taken by ToniVC


This question struck me as I realized that I had not considered my own measure of time.

As many callers and e-mails came in, it was soon evident that we each measure time in a personal way. One woman called in and described how her love-bird woke her up each morning instead of an alarm (PS. It woke her up by snuggling with her...no questions there...)...and another woman called in emphasizing how much faster time flies by as she gets older.

These musings on the personal significance of time made me stop and consider---how do I approach time?

I am blessed to not regularly be forced to wake with an alarm---and I do not have a pet who wakes me up. I also am no longer in school or work a 9 to 5 job. I do not live on a farm or in a place where I must get up as the sun rises (or earlier) and go to bed when it sets. We do not go home for holidays because of Red's work--and well, that does take away from their significance...and I'm at a point in life where I am neither dreading or looking forward to my next birthday.

Hmmm--as I stop to consider my relationship with time...I realize a few things.

1. I would love to measure time with the sun. ( a) Using a sundial would be super cool (b) I would love to rise with the sun and sleep with the sun.

2. I still function on a school schedule (ie. the New Year...January 1st...does not signify the start of an actual new year. My new year is in the Fall aka. after Labor Day when many people return to school...also, it does not end until the beginning of Summer...which means I have about 3 months of non-time....interesting...

3. Red's job significantly impacts my year---and so when we have time off from January to March that is our vacation time---a time of year that every one else is working... This makes the first "half" of the year (September to December) much more significant....

What are your thoughts on your relationship with time? Have you changed how you measure it as you've gotten older? Is there a particular reason you measure it the way you do?

If you would like to listen to this broadcast from NPR or read a summary, click here. The broadcast will be available after 6pm EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment