Sunday, February 3, 2013

Houseplants and Donuts

I woke up with a huge hankering for a stroll around our neighborhood. You know...it's Sunday morning; it's cheerfully bright; it's crisp and refreshing; and....

It's blanketed in 4 inches of unexpected snow.



Ok, so no walk.

BUT instead of a Sunday morning walk, why not venture out into the winter wonderland via le Trooper and continue my hunt for a houseplant?

My thoughts exactly. There was absolutely no sound reason to stay home. Icy roads and frigid temperatures are nothing against my zealous desire to either a) build a terrarium or b) at least have a beautiful houseplant.



I lassoed Red into partnering with me on this escapade and off we went to the wonderful, marvelous, magically curated Bowood Farms Greenhouse and Gift shoppe in the Central West End.



Wandering the aisles of house plants, terrarium finds, and air plants, I was certain to find what I longed for: an Oxalis.

Didn't happen.

But, I did get to experience Bowood Farms in an excellent way. As you enter through their chartreuse front doors, you are transplanted into another world. They have an excellent selection of house plants but also carry distinctive gifts and accents for the home and garden.

It honestly felt like a special place....as if I could do anything! That terrarium is in reach, Laura! They even provided inspiration:



Although I didn't find my Oxalis (they will carry them in March in time for St. Patrick's Day), it was a rejuvenating experience to meander through their trove and get ideas for gifts in the future

One of my favorites for a young boy or girl:

Mouse in a box!

After our field-trip to Bowood Farms, Red and I headed home...

Only to be overcome by the need for donuts.

And so, we stopped at World Fair's Donuts.

And the heaven's cried Hallelujah!!
Wow--life was just made a little bit better.

For $2.86 we had 4 donuts (what just happened?!) and a small cup of coffee to wash it down.

People. These donuts are worth the drive. No matter where you are in the St. Louis area, come eat this goodness.



I highly recommend the Buttermilk Cake Donut and Red gives his highest regards to the Classic Glazed.



Now we are home recuperating from a rush of inspiration at Bowood's and a rush of sugar and  inspiration at World's Fair Donuts.

What a great start to the day. Red is reading his book and I'm focusing on getting my mind right for the SuperBowl tonight.

 Really, I'm getting my mind right for all that food.

Cheers to you!

4 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog. So glad you guys had such a wonderful Sunday. I like you... I'm glad we're friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I just miss you guys!!! It's not fair that we live so far apart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we won't one day!!! and then we can continue our adventures wherever we are. :o)

      Delete
  3. Trisha! I like you too...and I'm VERY glad we're friends. Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete