Tuesday, January 17, 2012

From the Plains to the Mountains

I had never driven across Kansas before. I had never been creeped out by massive wind farms before. I had  never driven through a canyon with crazy snow and ice before.

Before our most recent road trip, I had been living life safely on the edge of the Mississippi; far, far, away from any thoughts of eternal plains, energy farms, and mountains.

But now.

But now, I am changed for forever. No really. This isn't meant to be as dramatic as it sounds. But I am changed.

Red and I just returned from a sweet road trip with our friends Jackie and Micah. Jackie's family lives out in Colorado about 2 hours west of Denver in Glenwood Springs. (Not to be confused with paradise...)

No doubt, Red and I jumped on the opportunity to meet her family and to get away into the mountains. The  drive's terrain was invigorating...You hear everyone complain about driving through the plains and despising it, oh but friends!--it is beautiful!



As we drove across this vast expanse, I couldn't help but be reminded of the beach. Odd I know. No ocean for miles--and I think of the beach. But it was something about the swaying of the tall golden grasses that reminded me of dunes and the richness of the blue sky that reminded me of the depths of the sea.

I looked out my window and felt as if inspiration roams freely across this land; that if I could throw myself into it's thralls then I would be changed. Perhaps I would double in size to take up space or perhaps I would grow smaller to better experience God's delirious creation. But yes, changed.

As we drew closer to Denver we began to saw the Rockies push out of the horizon as if they had to stake their claim. There is no denying their stature---why they think they would be pushed around, is beyond me...but..

How these mountains shock your system is undeniable. I had only visited CO once before. It was with Red for his high school friend's wedding and it was summer time. Winter is a completely different experience.

These mountains, ruddy with red earth, Aspens, and craggy rocks jut to the sky suddenly and with out remorse. As we weaved through the valleys and canyons and held our breath dangerously long through tunnels burrowed in the mountains' bellies, a whole new world came to life. It swirled with snow. We slid with ice. White took over for red and we entered into what I like to refer to as: Narnia. (spoken with a fabulous British accent.)

It was enchanting:



The foray into the canyon took an hour longer than expected. But, alas, we arrived at Jackie's home. Blown away by the beautiful drive, thankful to make it there safely, and starving for potato soup--we jumped out of the car eager.

The snow still falling:




I think the one of our party most excited to arrive was Hunter, Jackie and Micah's adorable pup:


Stay tuned for the rest of this trip--it's only just begun...

2 comments:

  1. Red looks confused...perhaps he has never seen snow?? :) Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha---he does look confused!

    ReplyDelete