Sunday, January 29, 2012

Belgium in live and living color

We arrived in Brussels by train this morning and was greeted at the platform by Ms. Denise, mother to the infamous childhood friend of Red, Hans.

Ms. Denise's warm hugs were the perfect greeting on that freezing platform, the wind blowing our hair and our cheeks flushed with the cold. She greeted Red like he was her lost son. You could feel how happy both Hans and his mom were to see Red after 12 years of separation.

From the train station, we wandered through the huge Sunday market to the car and drove through the narrow streets to the famous Market square where the buildings date back to the 1400's...remarkable. After a few pictures we snuck into a local restaurant for some cappuccinos and good conversation. The restaurant's building was built in the 1600's and had a massive fire built in the center. ( Even more remarkable was the giant stuffed horse behind our table---very middle ages?)

We went on to the Manneke Pis ( the peeing boy statue) which is infamous in Brussels. The story goes that two sides of Belgium were at war and one side was lighting a fuse to a bomb for the other side. A little boy wandered out right at that moment, saw the fuse, and peed on it, becoming the hero of the conflict. ( what a smart little boy!)

After grabbing some pastries for a snack, and exploring the Tin Tin store, we went on to the "atom" a monument that was built for the world exposition. It was so cool!! Literally a giant atom symbolizing the different cities in Belgium.

Now, we are relaxing at Hans' home about to eat a home cooked meal. ( Red has been raving about Ms. Denise's food for YEARS so I am very excited...especially for her fries...because I may or may not be addicted to potatoes.)

Posting pictures soon!

3 comments:

  1. WOW...what an opportunity. Techy guy that I'm not, it took me 3 posts to see where he "comment" section was. Boots, clothes, hair: you haven't changed. I didn't even know you did a blog until you went to Europe. One picture way back is my favorite: I guess it was at Halloween. Fabulous. Just got dressing off my L-thumb today and new cast for the next 4+ weeks. It's a bummer. I'll get it off before I go to India. Miss you....and love you.
    DAVE F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lest I forget, it sounds so nice to meet Ms. Denise. What an opportunity. Good food too, I'll bet. Maybe you can pick up some cooking "tricks."
    again,
    DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another comment Feb 5, Super Bowl Sunday:
    From watching the weather where I think you have been since last Sunday, I hope you have warm coats. I'll bet you can't wait to get to Morocco....WARM.
    DAVE ;-)

    ReplyDelete