Thursday, November 14, 2013

The gift of Encouragement

As I was drinking my delicious Sump coffee and preparing my heart for the day, I stumbled upon the wee book of Philemon---squeezed between Titus and Hebrews--this single page of wisdom grabbed my attention.

Soaking up the words from Paul to Philemon, a man who is a fellow follower of Christ, this book provides a revelry in encouragement and hospitality.

I think sometimes we forget those gifts!! It is a gift to lovingly encourage those around you--even if they already know Christ. It is a gift to welcome people into your home, serve them a warm meal, and offer them a cozy bed.

Paul celebrates Philemon's faith in the Lord and love for all the saints stating: "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints." (v.7)

He then goes on and asks Philemon to welcome a fellow believer back into his home as if he is a son---a man---a brother in Christ. Paul has no doubt that Philemon will welcome this man, Onesimus, over and beyond what is asked of him. (v.21)

Whether it is opening your home for a seasonal craft brunch, having an open door policy when it comes to house guests, or simply listening with keen ears---the gifts of encouragement and hospitality are to be celebrated.

I offer a special thank you to the women in St. Louis who modeled this for me. You each have done an excellent job of building community through mutual encouragement and blessing. Thank you for continually exemplifying for me the art of the selfless giving.


No comments:

Post a Comment